The Perfect Thanksgiving Dessert - Sweet Potato Pie
October 27, 2022
Who doesn’t love a wholesome slice of sweet potato pie? This recipe is absolutely perfect in the fall – or anytime! It’s easy to make (and we all know how precious time is during the holidays, right?), simple (only a few ingredients are needed for the filling), and – most importantly - delicious.
This pie recipe is a family recipe passed down from one of our readers’ great grandmothers. The member writes, “it’s a favorite at family get-togethers during the fall and has always been a part of my family’s Thanksgiving dessert table. I hope you enjoy it so much that it becomes a favorite for your family as well!”
There are no spices added to this pie. The flavor comes from the creamy sweet potatoes and the buttery, flaky pie crust. If you prefer, you can add ground cinnamon, ginger, and/or ground nutmeg to this recipe.
Tip: Baked Sweet Potatoes Make the Best Pie. They provide a creamier texture and a deeper flavor and richness to the pie than boiled sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup of ilk
- 9” unbaked pie crust
- Bake your sweet potatoes.Preheat the oven to 400º F. Scrub the sweet potatoes until clean, prick them 4 to 5 times with a fork. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pricked with a toothpick. Remove from the oven and allow to cool until they can easily be handled. Peel the skin from the sweet potatoes and place the sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Reduce the oven heat to 350º F. Once baked and slightly cooled, peel the skins off and place them into a large mixing bowl.
- Make the Sweet Potato Pie Filling. Mash the peeled sweet potatoes with the softened butter. Add the sugar(s) and the vanilla extract and mix until well combined and pour in the milk and eggs. Mix until the mixture is well combined. You can use a simple potato masher or an electric mixer if you prefer.
- Bake the Pie.Pour the pie filling mixture into unbaked pie crust. Bake until the center of the pie is just set and does not jiggle in the center when moved, about 60 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve slightly warm or allow to cool to room temperature and store in the refrigerator to serve later.
And that’s it! The recipe is delicious perfectly plain, but you can also add toppings like whipped cream, salted caramel sauce, a scoop of ice cream, or whatever you and your guests most enjoy!
Have a recipe or cooking tip you’d like to share? Tell us below!
7 Do’s and Don’ts for Heart Health
It's February – American Heart Month – a time when the nation spotlights heart health and disease, the No. 1 killer
Struggling With Your New Year's Resolution? The 'Monday Reset' Can Help You Attain Success
If that “New Year, New Me” resolution is proving to be more difficult to achieve than you anticipated, you’re
5 Fun Ways to Spread Kindness on National Random Acts of Kindness Day
Simple gestures can make a big difference for all of us. Everyone appreciates a kind word, a comforting hug, or a warm and
Seeing is Believing: Older Americans Are Enjoying Amazing Advances in Contact Lenses
Many of us have tried contacts in the past but had no luck. Maybe you found them dry and uncomfortable, or you were unable to