Tax-Time Questions

January 27, 2016

‘Tis the season to gather all of your tax-related paperwork. The TPEA state office has received a few tax-related questions, so for your reference we’ve put together a short Q-and-A.

Are TPEA membership dues tax-deductible?

No. Unfortunately, TPEA membership dues are not tax-deductible as charitable contributions for federal tax purposes.

I’m a retired state employee. When will I receive my 1099-R from ERS?

ERS will mail all 1099-Rs by Jan. 31. Form 1099-R is the IRS form you use to report your distributions from pensions, annuities, retirement plans, IRAs, etc., on your tax return. For more information, TPEA recommends that you visit the ERS Web page on Form 1099-R.

What is Form 1095-B?

Starting in 2016, most people must report on their tax returns whether they had medical insurance coverage during the previous year. Form 1095-B is the form you’ll use to show you were covered. You’ll receive Form 1095-B from the administrator of your medical plan. Medical coverage providers are required to mail this form by Jan. 31. For more information about your Form 1095-B, TPEA recommends that you visit the ERS Web page on Form 1095-B.


Stay up-to-date on state employee news

Subscribe >

©2020 Texas Public Employees Association. All Right Reserved.