Budget Conference Committee Named
Posted on 4/21/17
Speaker of the House Joe Straus and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick have named the members of the budget conference committee charged with crafting a compromise between the budgets passed by the House and Senate. The compromise must pass both chambers and make its way to the governor’s desk.
The House conferees are:
- Appropriations Committee Chair John Zerwas (R–Richmond).
- Appropriations Committee Vice Chair Oscar Longoria (D–Mission).
- Rep. Trent Ashby (R–Lufkin).
- Rep. Sarah Davis (R–West University Place).
- Rep. Larry Gonzales (R–Round Rock), a past TPEA Legislator of the Year.
The Senate conferees are:
- Finance Committee Chair Jane Nelson (R–Flower Mound).
- Finance Committee Vice Chair Juan “Chuy” Hinojosa (D–McAllen).
- Sen. Joan Huffman (R–Houston).
- Sen. Lois Kolkhorst (R–Brenham).
- Sen. Charles Schwertner (R–Georgetown).
The two budgets take similar approaches to active and retired state employee benefits and compensation, and they would spend almost the same amount of money. The debate will be whether to tap into the Economic Stabilization Fund (ESF), commonly called the Rainy Day Fund, to make up an approximately $6 billion budget shortfall.
Learn how the House and Senate budgets compare on active and retired state employee issues.